Has anyone read the letter from Milas Franks in the Coalfield? He point blank said that if they had done what they wanted three years ago they would of shut down Appy, St. Paul, and Pound.
Has anyone read the letter from Milas Franks in the Coalfield? He point blank said that if they had done what they wanted three years ago they would of shut down Appy, St. Paul, and Pound.
This will eventually happen probably. I don't think the way they went about it was right and therefore caused many to get upset with consolidation. I wonder why has this topic came back up unless it is being pursued again soon. Appalachia struck out first to stop this and really had no support until Pound found out they too were going to be consolidated. I hate it for the ones who are in highschool and want to graduate at their own school. But just a matter of time and it will happen.
As I have stated befor I think it could be a positive thing but there is no doubt that IF it is to be done things should be done the right way (As much community involvment as possable, and do it right so that the new schools have 50 to 60 years of life in them not a bandaid aproach that will hurt the county and the kids in the long run)
maybe they could consolidate everybody so that someone could play within 20 of us. richlands got lucky but nobody else will
I don't really understand all of this. I haven't lived back here long enough to know what all your talking about.
But i seen on one of the billboards that the schools should receive 413 million dollars from lottery revenue. How does that work into the local schools or county school system.
yeah i only have this year and next year and i graduate at Pound High..i have always went to Pound..and i juss wanna finish here*--
I honistly don't know but if it is a political thing then rest assured there is some funny book keeping being done somewhere (i.e. School get 413 Million dollars from the lottery and get 413 Million less from the General Fund (Not saying that is what is happening but figure it is not to far off the mark))
I sure hope they close all the Dickenson County schools soon. I'm sure I can find a fair way to do this since I don't live there and the favor gets returned regular. </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
As I have stated befor I think it could be a positive thing but there is no doubt that IF it is to be done things should be done
[/ QUOTE ] the Dickenson County "Hangin' Judges" put this [censored] up anytime there is an excuse.- GET A JOB and GET OFF OUR KIDS, I don't cry about your football team screwin' the band, cause you won't spend the money. If you can suit a team, cut the budget some and suit a band. Appy would raise it's own funds and take care of it's band members, too.
I hate this for the kids at Wise as well. We have no desire at all to be combined with Pound (works both ways-rest assured), but the bottom line is this is coming for all of us, and we can either live in neverland, or wake up and realize that we are going to have to make the best of it. New facilities,expanded educational programs, and a safe school for my kids to learn in means alot more to me than football games on Friday nights (which is what 90% of folks who oppose this are thinking about). The windows at JJK are shot, the walls are cracked, we have no reliable heat nor air conditioning. Things are as bad if not worse at Pound. Elp6n tells me stories of wearing coats in the classroom in the winter, and I've seen the school enough to know what shape it is in. All of our county schools are around 50. We can either patch it up (charge us the ticket to do this), only to see our kids taxed again in 10-20 yrs to rebuild anyway, or we can do it right ONCE. I love J.J. Kelly, God knows I do and so do you all, but school pride can cloud a person's judgement sometimes. I have talked to the folks over in KY at East Ridge and Letcher. These folks are so proud of their new school. I am ashamed of our tiny lil gym at JJK-unexcusable for a school our size. This is coming guys-just the way it is. Life throws you curves sometimes, and you just have to hit the pitch it gives ya. And before we have to hear the Lee High argument once again, I am aware that there are times that consolidation has it's problems, but I have heard many more examples of positives than negatives. There's alot to be said for proper planning. I know that these little schools are the heartbeat of their communities, but I also know that I don't want my sons to struggle academically because the room is too cold or hot for them to properly concentrate. Athletics are wonderful, but academics are necessary.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future
Makes good sense there, Unchained. You are smarter than you look. Just kidding!!
You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."
Bookmarks